Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Talkative Tidbit

I want to talk about choosing a barn, specifically to board your horse at. Since I'm off to college this fall, and I decided to bring my mare, Marti, with me, I flew to Michigan with my parents to scope out the barns around the campus. It's important to do an internet search of the barns in the area before searching, especially if you are looking for a discipline specific stable, because it can save you hours of wasted time at bad barns.
My future barn in Michigan. I love everything about it!
Once you have a few ideas, and, if you can, a contact person in the area who can show you around and give you the inside scoop on different places, you need to look at the barns for safety and care of your horse, then quality of trainers there, then the expense. Generally, you pay for what you get, so cost might not be the very first thing you should look at. The first thing I notice when I get out of the car is the feel of the place. Does it feel like a calm, happy atmosphere, or is it tense and stressful? The horses can pick up on the feel of the place, and it affects them, so, if you don't get a feel, look at the horses. Are they pinning their ears at everyone? Is there a lot of biting? Or are they eager to see people and perfectly calm both when handled and not? If the feel isn't good, I leave no matter how nice the place. I know my horse won't be happy there. If it passes, turnout comes next. Ideally, my horse will be out on mostly dry fields with or without grass (if without, then constant hay) 24/7.
Dirty aisle, small stalls, wheelbarrow out in open,
and hay too close to stalls in case of fire
If that's not possible, then hopefully morning to night. At the very minimum, four hours a day. A horse is built to always be walking and moving. They can't do that in a stall (which I make sure is a minimum of 12x12). Living in a stall is about the same specially as you living in a small bathroom. No wonder stalled horses get bad attitudes and vices... If turnout's good, then I look at food and water. Does every horse have water? Is every bucket clean enough I'd drink from it? Do they feed grain I like, and, if not, can I feed my own? Is the hay round baled or normal baled? How much do they know about its quality? (I'll do a tidbit on hay later) If I'm pleased, then I look at the cleanliness of the barn. Is hay and dirt all over the aisle? Do they leave buckets and pitchforks out and about? Those are both safety and fire hazards. If I think the barn is nice and clean, open and airy, then I look at horse management. I want horses gender separated in fields because mixing can cause defensive fighting of geldings over mares. I like to avoid unnecessary risks. Are the people proper in their handling such as no halter in turnout, leading with a lead rope, closing closed gates behind them and leaving open ones open? I went to a barn in Michigan where someone forgot to close the gate between the gelding and mare paddocks, and those who were there when it happened wouldn't take any blame.
Large stalls, open and airy, clean, but I don't like the
cage feel, and if your horse wears shoes, the stall fronts are safety hazards
That's bad. If a mistake is made, I want people to own up to it. Also, someone just let their horse explore the aisle way on its own with lots of buckets and the like all over. Way too dangerous. Finally, how are the horses treated? Like dependent animals or like machines? My horse is a living thing, so I want to avoid her being treated like she's disposable. After the basics are covered, and I approve so far, then I look at the quality of training for what I want. If that's good, then I look at the costs and see how they can be minimized. After that, it's all about personal preferences. Size of arenas, what the stalls are bedded with, etc. If you like mostly everything, then you have your barn!

No comments:

Post a Comment